Unless you’re in event planning for a living, chances are you’ve never hired a DJ before. So you may not know where to start!
First thing’s first: make sure you know what a wedding DJ does. Then you can start figuring out who you want to select for the job. Here’s a _ step checklist that you should go through to make sure you’re picking the right DJ for your wedding.
- Establish a wedding DJ budget
Just like with the rest of your wedding vendors, you’ll want to set a budget for your music expenses. You don’t want to fall in love with a DJ you can’t afford. And you also don’t want to get a mediocre DJ because you didn’t prioritize the expense.
- Start checking reviews
Happy clients have no problem raving about their wedding DJ after the fact, so be very cautious if you find a wedding DJ with only a few reviews. It may mean that they’re inexperienced.
- Start asking questions
Once you’ve found a well-reviewed DJ that’s in your price range, it’s time to start the vetting process. Here are some questions you could (and should) ask before you choose your wedding DJ:
- How many weddings do you DJ per year? A nightclub DJ who does the occasional wedding may not know how to MC a wedding or keep to the schedule. You want a wedding specialist.
- How will we relay what kind of music we want and don’t want? Look for a DJ with an online portal where you can add your must-play and DO NOT PLAY songs. This will help your DJ get to know your musical taste.
- Will you take requests? Each wedding is different. A good DJ can read the room and the crowd. You should be able to trust your DJ to accept requests that will build up the party, and decline requests that will kill the vibe.
- Look into bundling services
What additional services do you need, and can your DJ help with any of those? If you wanted a photo booth at your wedding, you may want to look for a DJ that can offer one. They should also be able to bring their own DJ booth.
And bonus if they can provide uplighting design to make your dance floor shine!
- Meet your wedding DJ
Once you’ve gone through an initial Q&A session and like what you’ve found, it’s time to meet your DJ! Spend a little time asking additional questions. This person will be introducing you to the world as a married couple for the first time, so make sure you feel comfortable with them.
You should also ask for a demonstration of their DJ-abilities. Make sure they look confident behind a DJ booth and can manage their equipment with ease.
After you’ve completed all five steps, you’re ready to hire your wedding DJ! Start communicating early about what kind of music you like, and make sure to provide your must-play songs!
If you’d like to chat with Maryland’s DJ about your upcoming wedding, we’d love to hear from you! Fill out our online form and we’ll be in touch ASAP.
Thursday, May 28, 2020